Monday, January 24, 2011

A Lesson in Theology

Buddy has been going through the typical small-child coming-of-age fear of dying. Neither I nor his parents are prone to randomly bringing the subject up to the kids, so we have figured this is just a natural thing for him to worry about as he gets older and first comes into contact with the idea that no one is immortal.

His parents and I have been easing these random fits of worry by assuring him that he doesn't need to be concerned about things like that; That he and his family will all be together for a long, long time.

And, taking a cue from his mom and dad, we've also taken this opportunity to get him excited for heaven, and to tell him just how awesome of a place it is. SO awesome that he doesn't need to even be concerned about death. We may have stretched some of the theology in the process (such as telling him about all the candy and video games he'll get to have in his mansion in the sky), but we figure as he gets older and his faith grows his vision of heaven will evolve as well.

Anyhoo. All that brings me to the events of lunchtime today.
Buddy, Brother, Sister and I were all sitting around the table eating and tossing around the usual mealtime banter (actually, Brother and Sister were spending their time tossing around the actual MEAL, as toddlers are apt to do...) when Buddy suddenly sighed dramatically and exclaimed "Devyn... I just can't WAIT for heaven!"

Smiling, I agreed.

Buddy continued, "I can't wait for my big comfy bed that will be made out of a cloud that Jesus will give me."

"Oh yeah, dude. I bet that will be the comfy-est bed ever!" I encouraged. "Your big comfy cloud-bed will look so cool in your big mansion that Jesus will give you!"

"Yeah. And outside I'll ask Jesus for a big grill for Dad. He likes grills."

"That's a good idea!"

He turned to me, "How big will your grill be, Devyn?"

"Well. I'm sure I'll have a grill too, but I bet ya'lls grill will be bigger than mine, since your Dad loves grills more than I do. Because Jesus puts all of the things we love the very most in our houses in heaven."

Buddy thought a moment. "I'm gonna have so much candy and video games then!"

"Mmm."

After a few minutes of thoughtful chewing, he continued "Devyn, what color is Jesus?"

"Hmm, that's a good question, Buddy. What color do you think he is?"

"He's red."

Allrightythen.

"That's a pretty interesting color to be. We'll have to see if you're right when we get there." At this point, I sat back and just watched the little cogs turning in his head as he dreamed up what his heaven would be like.

"Devyn, why don't you know what Jesus looks like?" He asked. "Did you forget or something?"

"I haven't seen Him yet. We don't get to see Him until we go to heaven."

"But what about before you were born?" Buddy challenged, "you saw Him in heaven before He sent you to earth!"

"You're right, Buddy, I did. But after you get sent to earth, you forget exactly what He looked like, and you just have to trust and remember in your heart that He's there, waiting for you to come back. That's called having faith."

He chewed his fishstick thoughtfully while mulling this over in his 4 year old mind. Suddenly he dropped the fishstick, eyes wide, and stood up in his chair.

"THAT'S WHAT IT SAYS IN DAD'S BLACK OPS GAME TOO!!! When things are dangerous and there's scary music playing, the guy yells 'HAVE FAITH'!!"

"Exactly."

A lesson in theology over fish sticks and green beans, with Black Ops references.

Whatever works, man. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment