Saturday, February 5, 2011

Because I Am So Hopelessly Behind...

I had a good long break from this blog from October to late January. Non-intentional, of course. I just suddenly found myself with less time on my hands to actually type things out as they come. And so now I am very behind on sharing some major developments.

Beware of my bullet notes.

  • I BOUGHT MY FIRST CAR!!!!!!!!!!!! The first one that's totally and completely mine, anyway. Before December, I had been driving my Dad's little pickup exclusively since 2003 (though he never would let me refer to it as mine). But anyway, I started getting really serious about car shopping as soon as I got back from Australia. Each time I had a free moment I was scouring dealerships' webpages looking for good deals. I found it was safer that way, being in the safety of my own home, protected by internet anonymity. A young woman, new to car-buying, not mechanically-inclined, alone, going into used car dealerships on evenings and weekends? The target on my backside could NOT have been any bigger. But, being on the internet and speaking with sales reps through email (primarily), being able to check their sales info against car websites, call them out on any gimmicks they tried to sneak past me, and then bid them against each other for a great price all led me to get a GREAT DEAL on a GREAT CAR!! I'm a little bit proud. ;)
  • The Kids are all so much bigger and different that they were in their nannylogs debut. Man. Let's start with Buddy: almost five years old (whoa). Still runs around constantly in his Hulk pjs. He recently lamented to his mother "But Moooommm, I only ever feel tough and strong when I wear my Hulk pajamas! Don't make me take them off!" On the plus side though, the foam Hulk fists? Its been quite some time since they have bashed me off-guard in the face. I don't know yet if that has genuinely passed, or if he is merely lulling me into a false sense of security.... I've been spending quite some time trying to get him excited for school in the fall, but to be honest, he's not too thrilled about it. I'm sure there will be more on that later. BUT. Ah man. THE KID HAS STARTED READING!!! I am so ridiculously excited! Now, he's not reciting Chaucer or anything, but he's got the basics down, and is starting to connect the dots on letter sounds and putting all the sounds together to form a word. From his booster seat in the car the other day, he confidently spelled out the word "bag" to his mother and I, with absolutely no assistance. It was a proud moment.
  • Brother is getting quite ornery with age. But he's so darn funny, with a mischievious little twinkle in his eye and impish grin. He spends a majority of his day chasing Buddy around the house, wanting to do absolutely everything that Buddy gets to do. Naturally, this has led to a few sticky moments, and I'm formulating a theory that little boys' bodies must contain some form of naturally-occuring rubber (with all the accidents that make me gasp and cringe, which they seem unfazed by). He is also constantly talking. While mostly sounding like an adorable minion, he's also got some definite English going on too. And he LOVES to parrot. And giggle. Its pretty stinkin' cute.
  • Sissy loves to be held. Not so much for the attention, but just to be able to see what you're doing. She's not one to lose composure over being set down, but given the choice she prefers to be up on a hip (has to be the left one too... she has her preferences) sucking on her fingers, observing. She is the only child I have ever seen who can be bribed with clothing. It doesn't even have to be hers. Just hold up a random shirt and say "Sis, what have I got here?" And she comes running, eyes shining, as fast as her adorably chubby legs will carry her. Such a smiley little sweetie. And she absolutely LIVES for getting dressed in the morning. As far as talking, she's started to parrot a bit more, and will say a few words, but is truthfully perfectly content to let Brother handle most requests and negotiations. She and I stick together in the house full of rough-housing little boys.
  • I have my feelers out to move this summer. Probably much more to be said about that as the time gets closer!
  • Multiple trips planned for this spring/summer! One MAJOR one to a big city, one RELAXING one to horse country... Both involving sweet friends who I don't get to see nearly enough for my liking. Pretty pumped!
I think that is about all for the bullets... Actual posts to come!! Thanks for indulging my Reader's Digest-esque catch-up session!

No comments:

Post a Comment